I want to introduce you to Chris Barker, our Results Software Product Manager. For those of you who are Results users, you most likely have met Chris!
Chris has been with Mass Ingenuity for over 8 years and has held many positions including senior delivery consultant. Early on Chris expressed interest in the software product manager role and we agreed it was a great fit. This decision changed the course of our company! Today Chris manages all aspects of Results Software and she does it from a customer experience POV.
Chris is embedded in several data rich projects with our customers. These range from defining and connecting measures to designing powerful dashboards in support of decision making. Chris will be sharing her experiences in this case study to give you a flavor for how effectively we have integrated the people, process, and technology experience.
Aaron Howard, CEO
An Introduction from Chris...
Case Study #35, January 2021
Project Timeline: January 2018-December 2020 (2 years)
Scope: 7 divisions and 24 programs delivering health care services to the state’s citizens
Situation: A 4,000-FTE health care organization was facing numerous significant challenges, including:
- Turnover of four executive directors in four years
- Fallout from a failed Affordable Care Act implementation put the future of Medicaid at risk
- 2017 audit found widespread problems in the agency’s Medicaid payment system
- Increase agency-wide transparency and accountability for outcomes
- Improve employees’ operational excellence and business acumen skills, tools, and mindset
- Increase employee engagement and problem-solving skills
- Expand community involvement and input
- Create enterprise performance management system, including a Fundamentals Map with outcome and process measures and owner
- Cascade process measures to all organization division
- Establish and train owners and data stewards on best practices of establishing and managing metrics
- Design strategic change management plan including sponsorship, training, and communication plans
- Facilitated leadership team sessions resulting in greater commitment to health equity
- Facilitated leadership to agree to 10-year goal of eliminating health inequalities
Agency needed a tool to provide transparency on their key performance outcome and process measures across all levels of the organization. The organization has employees across the state, but primarily located in four locations. Results Software was adopted and now supports their key operational measures, legislature managed metrics and will be the primary tool to house related strategic plan metrics.
- Improved management teams’ business acumen and operational excellence capabilities
- Expanded agency transparency and accountability for priorities and stakeholder outcomes
- Increased risk management and problem solving root cause analysis to improve efficiencies
- Reduced authorization determinations from 80 days to 10 days with 3 months (sustained for the past 18 consecutive months)
“Mass Ingenuity has been instrumental assisting our agency with the Performance System implementation, measuring, and improving our processes. It’s been exciting to see staff engagement and leadership teams.” Performance System Lead
“I find Mass Ingenuity to be a great firm to work with, both with the staff assigned to the organization directly, as well as their executive leaders. It’s been exciting to see the engagement from staff and the leadership teams as we continue this work with the partnership and assistance that they continue to provide. I wouldn’t hesitate to work with them again on other projects.” Deputy Director (rated Mass Ingenuity 25 points out of a maximum total of 25 points on five different success factors)