I’m delighted to introduce Kelly Ferguson, co-founder and COO of Mass Ingenuity. As one of the original founders, Kelly has dedicated the last 10 years to bringing data driven results to our customers. Her background includes formal education in Organization Development as well as years of selling experience. When asked about her secret to success in business development Kelly always replies with, “The secret to sales is building relationships and providing value. It’s all about the relationships.”
Today Kelly is sharing an amazing, large enterprise customer success story.
Aaron Howard, CEO
An Introduction from Kelly...
Large Enterprise (7,500 FTE) Operational and Strategic Excellence
Case Study #31, January 2021
Project Timeline: Two years
Project Scope. Enterprise-wide operational and strategic excellence and cultural transformation. Included extensive cascading to multiple regional locations.
Situation. The organization was directed to transform its operations so they met the board’s requirements for operating as a successful business. They were required to analyze all business processes and strategic initiatives using business best practices and to define the organization’s desired future state.
Pain. They were experiencing some of the most complicated issues facing a large and complex enterprise. These included dramatically large hiring and staff retention problems, and a myriad of inefficient processes. The board's mandate required them to quickly achieve progress, ensure leaders own the processes, and operate as a business.
Capabilities. The following goals were identified with the leadership team:
- Build capacity for change resiliency, change adoption, and employee engagement
- Improve culture so that leaders model transparency and accountability in every action
- Ensure employees see how their work connects to the organization and customer needs
- Improve operational definitions, data collection, and data analysis
- Provide 24/7 access to performance data so leaders and managers can more quickly implement data-driven decisions and prioritization
- Effectively solve problems and remove waste from routine work and core processes
- Improve the hiring and retention of competent employees
We Provided Client with Results Management System™ and Software
- Designed and implemented their Enterprise Performance Management System, which identified all core business processes, outcome measures, and process measures
- Defined measure ownership, which enhanced the leadership team’s accountability to effectively manage the organization across all regional locations and levels
- Enterprise-level performance measure scorecard, lean huddle boards, and Mass Ingenuity’s Results Software, a cloud-based SaaS performance measurement and dashboard tool
- Conducted and analyzed their change readiness assessment to develop a detailed understanding of the needs, concerns and readiness for change among all staff
- Developed and implemented enterprise-wide change management communication plan
- Cascaded Enterprise Performance Management System and measures to frontline teams
- Implemented daily and weekly huddles with front-line work teams
- Implemented monthly and quarterly business reviews with division and enterprise leadership
- Leveraged business review disciplines to analyze current process performance and prioritize business process reengineering efforts focused on key operations and policy responsibilities
- Facilitated development of strategic breakthrough map, initiatives, and review process
- Conducted team and individual coaching with executive sponsor and executive team
Client Results and Impact
- The board frequently recognizes the organization’s accomplishments
- Project outcomes as defined by the board were met and, in many cases, were exceeded
- Established strong sponsorship and standard work with executive and division leaders
- Implemented a shared comprehension and language for continuous improvement
- Actively engaged staff in performance management and measurable results, including:
- Reduced processing time by 50%
- Improved high-risk / high-need program completions from 86% to 95%
- Implemented a comprehensive performance measurement software, which visibly connects and tracks measures from the executive team to the line staff
“Mass Ingenuity’s work is of the highest caliber and it was a pleasure to partner with them to achieve our goals.” Former Administrator, Office of Performance Improvement
“Mass Ingenuity brought their extensive expertise to the table to customize their services and tools based on our needs…. They provided us with standard work and open, frank discussions to create a compelling call to action with our leaders.” Administrator, Strategic Planning